And if you’re feeling the need for a more meaty pasty, head on over to my gorgeous traditional Cornish pasty recipe. It’s a winner!
BUTTERNUT AND SAGE PASTY
Here’s the full written recipe.
Feel free to toggle the switch between metric & US measurements to make it easier for you. And feel free to tag me in any pasty pics you share online! You can find me pretty much everywhere as @hedgecomber.
- 375 g ready rolled shortcrust pastry chilled
- 100 g Barber's 1833 cheddar cheese finely grated
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1 handful waxy potatoes finely diced
- 1 handful swede finely diced
- sprinkle chives finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 180/350/gas 4.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and using a sharp knife, cut around a 7-9 inch plate. Re-roll the pastry and cut out another circle the same size. If there is any pastry left feel free to re-roll and make another mini pasty.
- Place the pastry discs onto a baking sheet and add a little heap of each of the filling ingredients. Be generous but don't overfill, and ensure there is plenty of cheese and seasoning.
- Carefully fold the pastry sides together and pinch them before crimping the pastry to form a neat crust.
- Brush each pasty with egg wash to glaze and pop into the oven for a total of 50 minutes.
- Five minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove from the oevn a sprinke with a little more cheese.
Huge thanks to Barber’s for sponsoring this recipe, thereby allowing me to continue bringing you tasty recipes, for free. As always all thoughts (and leftovers!) are my own.
Kavey at Kavey Eats says
This does look delicious, chives go so well with cheese! And your crimped edges are just perfect!
Jane Sarchet says
Thanks so much Kavey :)
Everyday Sarah Jane says
What a delicious sounding recipe – looks gorgeous too…can’t stop drooling!
Maxine G says
Really really yummy-looking! Thanks for posting
Platter Talk says
This post and recipe is right up my ally! Used to get something similar only with meat, in Madison.
Michele @ Flavor Mosaic says
This looks delicious! You had me at Cheese!
Jane Sarchet says
Thanks Michele :)
Lucy @ BakingQueen74 says
These look so tasty, I’m with you on the pastry, who has time and inclination for such things! I quite fancy these for packed lunches and am sure my lot will agree :)