When I recently asked the lovely folk of Facebook for a quick cake recipe to cheer Jonny up with (he had a week of work that was physically tough and mind numbingly boring), Judy from Plain & Simple blog instantly stepped in with her take on that classic – Coffee & Walnut.
Little did she know that this is Jonny’s absolute favourite, so how could I resist giving it a twirl.
I had to make a few adjustments to Judy’s recipe as some ingredients are hard to find in rural Cornwall, but here is my take on her recipe.
And if you’re a hardcore coffee lover too, check out this exotic scented Cardamom Coffee recipe. It’s a become a firm family favourite in this house!
- 185 g softened butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 235 g Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp strong filter coffee
- 70 g chopped walnuts with some extra to dot on the icing
- 150 g sifted icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of strong filter coffee
- Preheat oven to 180/350/Gas 4. Grease a large round cake tin.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs individually, beating well after each addition.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients together and fold them through the creamed mixture alternately with the yogurt.
- Add the coffee and gently mix through until well combined. Fold through the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into cake tin and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- After the cake has cooled, mix the icing sugar & coffee together well. Spread the frosting over the cake with a palette knife and decorate with the walnut halves.