These tasty little oat cakes have been a life saver for me during this wheat free week.
They are versatile enough to go with sweet or savoury, although I’m quite sure they utterly perfect with a thick scraping of fresh butter and big hunk of mature cheddar.
- 250 g oats
- 50 g walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter or bacon grease
- A mug of freshly boiled water
- Preheat oven to 190/375/Gas 5.
- Grind the oats and walnuts in a food processor until they are as fine as you like. I prefer mine to have a little bite so leave them a little rough.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and the rosemary leaves together in a bowl.
- Add the fat and around 10 tablespoons of hot water. It'll start off really crumbly but keep adding a little bit of hot water at a time until it starts holding together. Bring everything together and mush well with your hands until you have a ball of dough. If it gets too sticky, add a few more ground oats.
- Roll it out thinly and using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out circles of the dough. Slide a flat knife underneath each disc and carefully place them on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool completely before popping in an airtight tub.