This fragrant Sweet Potato, Walnut and Sage Soup is smooth and creamy whilst being low fat & dairy free. The walnuts counter the sweetness of the sweet potatoes with their earthiness, whilst also adding a subtle nutty texture.
Oh yeah. Are you sold yet?
This soup has become a firm favourite in our kitchen already. Even Jonny loves it and he’s not quite as keen on fruit n veg as I am :)
It was also good to put my Foothie power blender through its paces, although it ground the walnuts to a fine grain within seconds! Actually, if I’d have blitzed them any longer they would have turned into walnut butter.
Hmmm, walnut butter…?
Like magic innit? Anyway, as far as I’m concerned, this soup recipe is good enough to become a family heirloom, so please feel free to pass it onto your Grandchildren with my love ;)
PS Are you nuts about soups? If so, try out this Broccoli & Almond one I made way back in 2011. Just no laughing at the photo’s, OK? ;)
Sweet Potato , Walnut & Sage Soup
- 850 g sweet potato peeled & cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 litre water
- 1 stock cube
- 50 g walnuts ground
- 2 teaspoons dried sage level
- Cook the sweet potato and onion in the water with stock cube until soft.
- Meanwhile blitz the walnuts in a power blender until finely chopped, then pop them in a small bowl to one side.
- Pour the veggies into the blender and add the sage. Whizz together until smooth, the pop the walnuts back in. Give them a little blast to mix the walnuts evenly through the soup.
- Pour back into the pan and add enough boiling water from the kettle until the soup is the consistency you like.