Dreaming up a cake good enough for my Mum’s 70th birthday was made a whole lot easier when I spotted 4 lonely pears clinging on to the pear tree for dear life. Pretty impressive they’re still there with the gusting winds we’ve had over the past few days.
Oh, before I launch into the tasty virtues of this cake, I must let you know that Mum’s Superhero Skydive was a blast! She is still buzzing, 3 days later! I’ll sneak some pics from the skydive at the bottom of this post :)
Anyway, cake. So Mum loves pears and she LOVES ginger. Doesn’t that sound like a duo made in heaven? Now, I know that the looks of my cake would never win the Great British Bake Off, but it tastes WAY better than it looks. Promise ;)
- 3 pears I only used 2 as mine were HUGE!, peeled, halved & cored
- A little lemon juice
- 50 g crystallised ginger finely chopped
- 150 g butter
- 110 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 170 g plain flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- A little water
- Preheat the oven to 180/350/gas 4, grease a 7" cake tin.
- Pop the pear halves, cut side down, in the bottom of your cake tin. Sprinkle with a little lemon juice to prevent them browning whilst you prepare the cake mix.
- Chop the crystallised ginger and sprinkle half over the pears.
- Cream three quarters of the butter with the sugar. When it's light and creamy, add an egg and beat together well.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds, ground ginger and baking powder adding the second egg and the rest of the crystallised ginger. Mix well, adding a little water until you have a thick but smooth consistency.
- Melt the remaining quarter of the butter and pour over the pears, then immediately dollop the cake batter on top, smoothing it down as you go.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 150 for a further 45 - 50 minutes.
- Run a knife round the side of the tin to loosen the cake. Then turn out onto a cooling rack where the pears will shine from all that gingery, buttery goodness.
And as promised, the before and after shots of Mum’s Superhero Skydive on her 70th birthday! We had to wait at the airfield for 7 hours before the weather cleared enough to enable them to jump.
It was a magic day, she a ball and completely thrashed her £500 target! Thank you to everyone who sponsored her, it means the world to us all xxx