Today’s recipe is for this blinding Smoked Mackerel Open Sandwich with Horseradish Mayo. It’s cheap, easy and beyond tasty.
With Jonny & Kieren going fishing and bringing back a bag of mackerel, and me being the only one in the house that will eat them, I am suddenly spoilt for choice at meal times!
And it’s no hardship since I’ve started smoking them. I can’t actually imagine ever wanting to eat an unsmoked mackerel again. You can find out all about my home made smoker journey here.
And finally the horseradish mayo was an inspired blend. Dairy free and bursting with flavour (and a little heat), it goes together with smoked fish like nothing else. Just delightful.
- 1 slice toast
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish this stuff can be HOT, taste as you go
- A grind of black pepper
- 1 handful Watercress rocket or similar peppery salad leaves
- 1/2 tomato sliced thickly
- 1/2 a smoked mackerel fillet skin and any bones removed and flaked
- Mix the mayo, horseradish & black pepper together until it tastes as hot (or not) as you like.
- Spread generously on the toast, then pile up with the watercress, tomato and flaked fish.
- Devour in seconds, then immediately make another one ;)