I have been wanting to make this rhubarb, strawberry and ginger jam ever since visiting Spiller’s Farm B&B way back in January, where I had it on hot buttered toast for breakfast.
Bursting with magical flavours, it made quite an impression on me and kindly our hosts, Bridget & Keith, were happy for me to share the recipe with you all.
Apparently, out of all their home made jams they sell to visitors, this one is their best seller, so much so that Keith can hardly make enough of it to keep up with demand.
Trust me, once you taste it, you’ll totally understand why!
So, finally, the rhubarb in my garden has toughened up a bit, the strawberries in the poly tunnel are kicking out bowls of fruit every day, and I was ready to lay down some of this amazing jam in the pantry.
The following recipe made 10 jars, so I think I need to make a few more batches before I’m happy we have enough to last the year!
If you give it a go, do let me know how you get on.
PS I’ve recently tried this amazing gooseberry and gin jam from my good friend Claire – It’s fabulous! Do give it a go if you have a glut of gosseberries to use up!
Rhubarb,Strawberry and Ginger Jam
- 1.8 kg rhubarb
- 450 g strawberries
- 1.8 kg granulated sugar
- 150 g fresh root ginger
- Chop the rhubarb into inch pieces, place in preserving pan and simmer.
- Meanwhile, warm the sugar in the oven then add it to the rhubarb.
- While the sugar is dissolving, peel and finely chop ginger (do not crush!)
- Once sugar is dissolved (best way to tell that is that you shouldn't seen any sugar granules on a spoon once its been stirred in the jam), add the ginger and the strawberries.
- Boil on rapid heat for about 15 mins until setting point is reached.
- Place in warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately. Job done!