This colourful Rainbow Salsa makes the most of everything that is fresh and in season right now, which also means it’s cheap as chips.
The poly tunnel is bursting with veggies at the moment. From spinach and broccoli to tomatoes and chilli peppers, this is the busy time of year what with all the weeding, picking & watering needed.
However, the freezers are getting slowly filled back up after a long, wet winter and we’re eating like kings :)
By charring the corn lightly on a BBQ or under the grill you’ll get more sweet flavour from them, but this would still be one very tasty salsa if you used raw corn kernels or even frozen or tinned corn.
- 1 corn on the cob
- 6-8 tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 chilli peppers depending on the the levels you like. I used a couple of purple serrano chillis just for the rainbow fun of it
- 2 spring onions green parts too, chopped
- 1/2 orange pepper
- Peel the sheath off the corn cob and remove it. Brush the kernels with a little melted butter and then grill under a hot grill under the corn gets a little charred in places.
- Dice the vegetables finely and mix together in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the kernels off the cobs. I find it easier to snap the cobs in half first, then place the widest end flat onto the chopping board.
- Mix the corn in with the other veggies and serve.