We are in the depths of a lurgy in our house. It’s day 6 already and I feel worse today than I have all week.
However yesterday I mustered up the energy to cook something to blast those little bugs to hell and back.
Ha! Death by garlic :)
The spicing in this soup is gentle and family-friendly, but still plenty enough to delight jaded tastebuds.
And it’s rich creaminess comes purely from the potato.
There’s no need to add any cream or milk (both of which are mucous forming).
It’s comforting enough all on its own.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- 1/2 litre stock or water and a stock cube
- 1/2 - 1 whole garlic bulb cloves peeled
- Fry the onions in the oil gently for a few minutes to soften.
- Add in the spices and fry for 1 minutes to release their flavour.
- Add in the potatoes, water or stock and garlic and let simmer until the potatoes are really soft.
- Whizz in a blender until beautifully smooth, adding in anything up to 1/2 litre of boiling water from the kettle to thin it down to your preferred consistency.
- Serve with a spoon of fried onions on top if you need a little extra TLC.