Healthy egg fried rice is a great mid week meal that’s easy to knock up, filling, and will use up all sorts of leftovers and bits and bobs from the bottom of the fridge.
We don’t eat rice all that often, maybe once every week or two, so when it is on the menu, I tend to cook double and store half in the fridge for the next day.
Nine times out of ten it gets morphed into a variant of this healthy fried rice. Not only does it taste wonderful, it is is the quickest meal on the planet, being ready in just minutes.
Don’t be precious about what you put in it. Any tired looking veg, when chopped thinly and thrown in at the last minute will taste perfect. Using a rainbow of veggies really makes it pop. Take your pick from things like mushrooms, peas, peppers, chilli peppers, sweetcorn, mange tout, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, carrots and dark leafy greens.
I added leftover shredded chicken to mine, but of course feel free to leave it veggie friendly or use other meats or seafood. I like to use a potato peeler to shred the carrots and any other root veg I use, making pretty ribbons that run throughout the rice.
This is my lazy version but on the days I don’t mind a second pan to wash up, I make thin little pancakes out of the beaten eggs, roll them up then slice them into ribbons and serve on top of the rice. It looks really pretty and I do prefer the texture of the eggs cooked this way.
But hey, texture versus washing up? Sometimes the lazy version wins hands down :)
- A tablepsoon of your favourite cooking oil/butter
- Leftover cooked rice
- Leftover cooked chicken
- Onion sliced
- Garlic crushed
- Ginger grated
- Chilli pepper chopped
- 1 Red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- Green beans cut into inch long pieces
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 3 or 4 eggs beaten
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- Soy sauce
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over a high heat until is it shimmering.
- Add the onion, grated ginger and chilli and cook for a minute to release the flavours. Add in the chicken and all other vegetables stir frying for a couple more minutes.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and stir constantly until they begin to set.
- Tip in the cooked rice and mix through well.
- When everything is looking yummy, take off the heat add a good splash of soy sauce and mix through the raw baby spinach leaves. They'll lightly steam in the residual heat left in the pan without going watery.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce, and a sprinkle of fresh corainder