This Fennel and Wild Garlic Salad with Mustard Dressing makes the most delightful side dish and uses the vibrant flavours of wild garlic.
I’ve been scanning the hedges for the past week or two, ever since the rain stopped (HOORAH!) and the sun started shining (HOOORRAAAHHHH!) looking out for wild garlic. These little blooms are the very first.
Apologies then to my neighbours for picking them. What can I say, I was excited.
I’ve been thinking that the mild garlic flavour would sit rather nicely alongside the mild aniseedy taste of raw fennel, and happily it really does. The red cabbage and carrot? Purely to add colour, vitamins and empty out the salad drawer before my weekly shop.
Jonny stuffed his cheese sandwich full of the wild garlic salad (minus the dressing) at lunch time as I looked on green with envy. I don’t miss dairy very often, but I have been getting some serious cravings for a decent strong cheddar of late. Sigh.
If you need more wild garlic inspiration, check out my delicious Wild Garlic Bread and my Wild Garlic and Walnut Crust for Fish (or lamb, chicken or mushroom!)
- 1/2 fennel bulb shredded finely
- 1/4 red cabbage shredded finely
- 1 large carrot shredded finely
- 1 handful wild garlic leaves and flowers
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Shredded all the veggies and toss in a salad bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or jug before lavishing on the veggies.