Should I even let on that as this beauty cooked, I was concerned? Creamy Thai Fish Pie (Dairy Free!) Was there a reason I’d never seen Thai spices and coconut milk served up with mashed potato?
I can tell you I was on the verge of heading back to the drawing board as I dished it up to my family. I plonked myself down in despair waiting for them to lay down their forks in favour of opening a can of baked beans. (This is the reason there is no pretty photo to accompany this recipe, just a quick snap of the leftovers, as I didn’t actually think I’d be sharing it with you!)
Luckily, my doom-mongery was unfounded and the fish pie was an absolute hit. To the point that everyone had seconds!
So go forth, make this for your friends whether they are lactose unhappy or not. I promise they will love you forever :)
Creamy Thai Fish Pie (Dairy Free!)
- 6 large potatoes
- 50 g plain flour
- 50 g butter or dairy free margarine
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai Green Curry spice paste heaped
- 800 g fish. salmon, cod etc.
- Put the potatoes on to boil.
- To make the coconut roux, melt the butter/margarine gently in a pan. Stir in the flour to make a thick paste, then slowly add the coconut milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly (reserve 3 or 4 tablespoons of the milk for the mashed potato)
- After a few minutes, when the sauce has thickened well, take off the heat and stir in the Thai green curry paste.
- Mash the potato using the reserved coconut milk and season well.
- Pop the rinsed fish chunks in a baking dish. Season well and pour over the curried cream sauce.
- Cover the top with mashed potato (freshly cooked or leftover mash) and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the pie is bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Serve in the knowledge that it's going to taste awesome :)