I dedicate these scrummy Chilli Chocolate Muffins to all you chilli heads out there, or anyone who is chilled to the bone and in need of a little inner warmth.
Cheer up your taste buds with cocoa, dark chocolate and the rich fudgey chilli chocolate frosting slathered on top.
Heavenly. Oh, and the heat levels in the recipe are mild enough that my Korma loving mother would happily indulge.
If you’re a little unsure, reduce the amount of chilli by half the first time you make the recipe just to test the waters.
I promise you’ll be back to make it again!
Don’t forget to leave me a comment below with how much chilli you added ;)
Chilli Chocolate Muffins with Chilli Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 tsps baking powder level
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder add more if you like it hot
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 100 g sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 250 ml water or milk
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 100 g dark chocolate chopped
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chilli powder add more if you're bonkers!
- Preheat the oven to 190/170 fan/375/gas 5
- In a large bowl, sift & mix all the dry ingredients. In a jug, measure out all the wet ones then pour in on the dry. Add the chocolate pieces and stir lightly until no flour is left visible. Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the tops spring back when pressed.
- Take out of the oven & leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Gently heat the chocolate and butter in a bain marie (heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water) add the water or milk, removing from the heat just before the chocolate has fully melted. Whisk until there are no lumps left. Add in the egg yolks one at a time beating well in between.
- Next add half the sugar, mix well then finish with the last of the sugar and the chilli powder, beating well again.
- Smooth the frosting onto the muffins when the muffins have fully cooled.