This Sweet Potato and Garlic Soup provided a real and much needed boost to my immune system today as I woke up feeling pretty snuffly, which isn’t particularly surprising considering the subzero camping expedition at the weekend.
Jonny & I are used to eating a lot of garlic so I used 8 cloves, half of which were added at the end of cooking to get the full anti-oxidant hit from them. Feel free to add less if you’re not that way inclined :)
Comfort food and medicine all in one bowl. Happy me.
- 2 sweet potatoes around 700g peeled weight
- 1 large onion
- 2-8 garlic cloves
- 1 litre hot water or stock
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, fry the chopped onion and garlic in a little oil until soft. Keep back half the garlic for full immune boosting, and stinky breath effect.
- Cut the sweet potato into small chunks, and add with the water or stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the potato is cooked and soft.
- Add all the seasoning (and the rest of the garlic if necessary) and blitz in the saucepan with a stick blender.