Soft, creamy lentils in a rich, spicy sauce nestled with sausages and poached eggs.
A real bowl of comfort food, and a great meal to make ahead on busy days. Cook it up to the simmering stage, let it cool and store in the fridge.
Reheat, adding the eggs, when you’re ready.
- 6 sausages
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 300 g lentils I used mixed, but any will work well
- 480 ml stock
- 4-6 eggs 1 per person
- Heat a little oil and gently fry the sausages until they are golden brown.
- Chop the garlic, onion, tomatoes, pepper & chilli (removing the seeds if you don't like it too hot) and add to the pan.
- After a few minutes, add in the stock and lentils and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season the mix well, and add more liquid if it is looking a little dry.
- Next make a well for each egg you're using, and gently crack them in.
- Let cook for 5-10 minutes, until the egg white has set and the lentils are soft.
- If you want to stretch the meal out, serve with crusty or garlic bread.