The sweet juiciness of the humble strawberry works brilliantly with the tart mouth-watering sourness of rhubarb in this yummy Rhubarb, Strawberry and Almond Crumble.
I’ve had a can of strawberries lingering in the back of a cupboard for a long time which I really wanted to use up. However, please feel free to use a punnet of fresh strawberries in their place. I’m sure they will taste far nicer!
But the most absolutely genius part of this dish (if I do say so myself) is the addition of flaked almonds to the crumble topping. Be still my beating heart… <3
Rhubarb, Strawberry and Almond Crumble
- 500 g fresh rhubarb this doesn't need to be exact - use whatever you have, chopped
- 1 tin strawberries or1 punnet ,halved
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 110 g plain flour
- 175 g butter
- 50 g oats
- 110 g sugar
- 50 g flaked almonds
- Pop the rhubarb pieces in a baking dish. Add the strawberries & sprinkle over the sugar evenly. I also added the juice from the tin of strawberries, but you don't need this extra liquid if you are using fresh.
- In another bowl soften the butter a little and, using a blunt knife, cut the flour into the butter. You want the 2 to form little balls that look like breadcrumbs, so don't squish it together with your hands as it'll turn into a greasy dough (don't ask me know I know :)
- When it kinda resembles breadcrumbs, add in the oats, sugar and almonds, mixing well.
- Layer this mix over the fruit and bake for around half an hour, or until the top looks golden and the fruit juices are bubbling.