The traditional blend of lemon & poppyseed just works in a muffin, don’t you think?
This recipe is light and moist and terribly moreish. Cook up a batch and freeze them, they’ll defrost beautifully whilst keeping your sandwich or salad cool till lunch time. Enjoy!
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 level tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100 g sugar
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 225 ml milk or soya milk
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375/190/170 fan/gas 5. Line a muffin tray with paper or silicone muffin cases. If you are using a cupcake tray (which is smaller) reduce the cooking time a little.
- In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together. Add the poppy seeds and stir through.
- In a jug beat the egg and add the other wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Pour the wet into the dry and mix minimally but well, just until there are no dry patches of flour left. If you over stir you are likely to get tough or dry muffins.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and it springs back when pressed.
- Pop on a cooling rack until completely cool and store in an airtight tub.