After my evening meal I always get a humongous sweet craving. Generally there is nothing in the house to quash that need, so I have a piece of toast with peanut butter and jam on.
If I’m totally honest one bite would be enough to satisfy, but I was brought up to clear my plate, and we all know that wasting food is a big No-No, right?
Then I stumbled over this AMAZING looking recipe for Almond Date Truffles over at the Sprouted Kitchen. It was love at first sight, and I think these little beauties could be my new after dinner sweet hit. See what you think…
- I altered Sara's recipe a little so here follows my 'inspired by' version of hers!
- 1 Packet of dates. You want the soft juicy ones you'll find in the fruit n veg section around Christmas time, not the hard ones found in the baking section. Sara recommends Medjools which are perfect. There were 22 dates in the packet I bought to give you an idea of how many to use.
- 2 tablespoons almond or peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- 1 tablepsoons cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Stone the dates and whizz them in a food processor until you reach a tasty looking datey mash. Chuck in everything else, and pulse until all is combined well.
Spoon out desert spoon amounts of datey goo, and use your hands to roll into little balls.
They'll be perfectly edible as is, but to make them look extra special, roll them in cocoa powder, chopped nuts or more coconut. I'm going to roll my next in chopped pistachios as I think they'll look even more perfect :)