This Dairy Free Banana & Coconut Rice Pudding is like eating a hug. It wraps you up in wonderful smells, from deep inside the subconscious.
Smells of childhood and carefree days. I could eat this rice pudding every day for the rest of my life and never get bored of it.
- 110 g pudding rice short-grained white rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 bananas chopped into largish chunks
- 1 pint soya milk cows milk is fine too!
- 40 g sugar
- ½ a freshly grated nutmeg or 1tsp of ground nutmeg sounds a lot, but it's not in the slightest OTT
- 25 g butter
- Preheat your oven to 150/300/gas 2
- Lightly grease a baking dish that is roughly 8 inch diameter and 3 inches deep.
- Pop the rice & sugar into the baking dish. Pour the 2 different milks over and stir well. Add the banana pieces evenly. Grate the nutmeg over the top and dot with small pieces of butter.
- Bake for 1¼ - 1½ hours, stirring every 30 mins or so, until the top has that delicious patchy brown skin, the rice has become swollen and soft, and the whole thing is infused with the scent of coconut & nutmeg. Gorgeous.
- PS this is the first time I've made a dairy free rice pudding and I was stoked that it tasted so good, and so reminiscent of childhood pudding. The addition of coconut milk is, in my opinion, totally genius. If I do say so myself :)