Somehow this post got lost during the past few hours, but thankfully I found it again as I’ve been meaning to share it with you for ages.
It is fabulous with a salad, jacket potato, crackers or just good, fresh bread. This version is made with Creme Freche, but I have made it in the past with sour cream or even cream cheese and it always turns out beautifully.
Horseradish is HOT, so taste as you go x
- 3 smoked mackerel fillets
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- Firstly you need to remove some bones from the fish. They run down the centre of the fillet, and are rarely found in the narrowest third of the fish.
- Run your finger from the wide end down the centre and you'll feel them. Grab each one and draw out. It's not difficult but it is a little time consuming.
- Once all the bones have gone, remove the skin.
- Pop the meat in a bowl, and ideally mush it with your hands to feel for any bones you may missed.
- Add the creme fraiche and horseradish, and mix well.
- Tip into a small jar and chill until needed.